HP3000-L Archives

May 2011, Week 2

From:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 May 2011 10:24:18 -0400
On 5/10/2011 11:06 PM, michael wrote:
> Speaking of SSH/SCP, any idea when it will be running on MPE ;-)
> Oh yeah and R-sync too!

Well, it has been a few years since I looked into this, but there was enough of a port
of OpenSSH at one time to actually get SCP to work if the 3000 was the client side, you
authenticated from the keyboard, and overlooked the slightly odd behavior of the
authentication process (linefeeds generated as you type in the password).  But yes, it
would work.

Somewhere in the list archives you can probably find notes to that effect... the most
recent one is here
(http://raven.utc.edu/cgi-bin/WA.EXE?A2=ind0902A&L=HP3000-L&P=R353&1=HP3000-L).

> Unfortunately, it will probably never happen.
> But maybe a Samba share on MPE, using the POSIX file system, could allow a
> Windows/Unix server to emulate this functionality.

Samba had a lot more functionality, but it is a decade behind "current" functionality.
Check the archives (advanced search, "SAMBA" in subject).

Jeff