HP3000-L Archives

March 2011, Week 3

From:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Mar 2011 10:10:58 -0400
On 3/16/2011 9:50 AM, Mark Landin wrote:
> Does anybody know Procurve-ese for configuring what's necessary to allow
> remote DTC operation across our network?

You don't have to do anything at layer-2.  The layer-3 will have to bridge the traffic.
If the layer-3's are Cisco, you can specify the traffic to bridge, in which case you
just want the [08|09]-00-09-x-x-x traffic.

The 09-00-09 is multicast used for discovery, but beyond that, you're going to get some
directed layer-2 08-00-09 as well.  You will need to include your HP's DTSLINK NIC MAC
prefix as well if it is a later model that does not have the old HP 08-00-09 prefix.

If you own the whole infrastructure path, what we used to do is run L2 trunks between
sites, and propagate a common vlan for the DTC/HP traffic, while routing everything else.

Or if the Ciscos are real routers rather than Catalyst-style switches, you can run a
L2TP tunnel end-to-end to propagate the HP vlan across the routed hops.

Jeff