HP3000-L Archives

March 2011, Week 2

From:
Michael Berkowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 12 Mar 2011 20:14:53 -0500
Why yes there is a jdbc driver

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01900550/c01900550.pdf

Michael Berkowitz
Project Manager, CGS Application Solutions
5530 Corbin Ave  Suite 313
Tarzana, CA  91356-6033
Direct:        818 635-0816
Message:  212 261-9610
Fax:            646 710-1889

From:   Roy Brown <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask]
Date:   03/12/2011 05:08 PM
Subject:        Re: [HP3000-L] HP Migration - wireframe software
Sent by:        HP-3000 Systems Discussion <[log in to unmask]>

In message <[log in to unmask]>, Lars Appel <[log in to unmask]>
writing at 08:28:15 in his/her local time opines:-
>Craig after Roy wrote:

>>> Visio (Professional, let's hope they gave her Professional) can read
the
>>> details of a SQL database and produce a visual schema automagically,
so
>>> it's not like she's got to chart them manually.

>> OK, this is news to me.  Can you please explain how this is
accomplished?

>Well, I do not know about Visio, but maybe it has similar "database
graph"
>features as free or open source tools like dbVisualizer or SquirrelSQL...
> http://www.dbvis.com/products/dbvis/features/index.jsp?feature=9

That's the idea, though dbVisualizer needs a JDBC driver, and I don't
know if there is one for TurboIMage.

> http://squirrel-sql.sourceforge.net/index.php?page=screenshots -> Graph

I couldn't convince myself that this allowed anything more than
semi-manual operation - you'd have to click on every table in turn in a
given database?

>Regards, Lars.

But to answer Craig's question, I'll repeat the extract from the Visio
Professional Help that I quoted when Connie first asked about wireframe
tools:-
Review what the Reverse Engineer Wizard extracts

The schema definition information that the wizard can extract depends on
a combination of things, such as the capabilities of the database
management system (DBMS) and ODBC driver. The wizard shows all the
elements it can extract and let you choose which ones you want. For
example you may only be interested in 5 out of 10 tables, and 2 out of 4
views.

While you are running the wizard you can choose to have it automatically
create the drawing in addition to listing the reverse engineered items
in the Tables and Views window. If you decide not to have the drawing
created automatically, you can drag the items from the Tables and Views
window onto your drawing page to manually assemble the database model.

To the extent that they are available from the target DBMS, you can
extract the following:

Tables
Primary keys
Foreign keys
Triggers (including code)
Check clauses (including code)
Stored procedures (including code)

Though I've never done this myself, and Alan Yeo has shed some doubt on
whether it gives what Connie needs :-(

But I have another idea, which I will get Alan to test, if he doesn't
mind, to see if it has legs...
--
Roy Brown        'Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be
Kelmscott Ltd     useful, or believe to be beautiful'  William Morris

NOTICE OF COMPANY CONFIDENTIALITY
This e-mail, and any attachment to it, contains company confidential
and/or privileged information intended only for the use of the
individual(s) named on the e-mail. If you are not the intended recipient,
you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying or distribution of
this information or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents
of this e-mail transmission is strictly prohibited. If you have received
this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by telephone immediately,
and/or immediately return it to the sender, and delete it from your
system.
Thank you for your cooperation.