HP3000-L Archives

March 2011, Week 2

From:
Alan Yeo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 11 Mar 2011 23:23:37 +0000
In message <[log in to unmask]>, Connie
Sellitto <[log in to unmask]> writes
>Hello,
>Trying to set up the ODBC connection to 'reverse engineer' a database
>diagram using Visio2010  and Minisoft's ODBC driver.  As far as I can
>tell, I've got the ODBC connection configured exactly as on our SQL
>server where it works fine.  But I'm getting an error "error 4 Error
>creating server process!" in Visio.
>
>Has anyone used Visio to 'diagram' an HP3000 Image database?

Connie

I think you are beating yourself up with no need.

If you have Adager/Flexibase/DBGeneral or already have a good schema
file for the databases, just generate the schema files and import them
into word or excel and give them to whoever they are.

If they can't put together the data structure from that, no amount of
time you can spend with visio is going to impart any more information.

A schema file isn't difficult to understand, and if they can't there
isn't much you can do to help them.

A few pointers on the schema file like this is a Primary Key this is a
sorted key and indications that a specific numeric has (n) implied
decimal places should be the most they should need plus a couple of
pages from the Image manual that describe the data types. Image
structures aren't complex.

Alan

--
Alan Yeo
[log in to unmask]    Just because you're paranoid