HP3000-L Archives

January 2011, Week 3

From:
John Pitman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pitman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jan 2011 15:55:50 +1100
Mention of small animals reminds of something from long ago....

Worked once for a company that installed a couple of 2000F systems on Christmas Island (Indian Ocean) for the phosphate mine there, alte 70s, early 80s. Had a nice dedicated computer room, temp controlled etc. The island actually issued some stamps with scenes of the systems and the teletype console.
These were under a HP support contract where an engineer turned up every 3 months or so, and did all possible PM work. One trip he moved something around to improve access, and there was a fair sized red crab dead underneath ....somehow it had got through the gap under the door...
If you have ever seen anything about the island on Discovery channel, you would know there is an annual crab migration event there, where the whole place is covered in young crabs making their way to the sea for the first time. This one just got lost.

Regards,

John Pitman