HP3000-L Archives

December 2010, Week 4

From:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Dec 2010 16:20:40 -0500
On 12/28/2010 2:52 PM, Jeff Kubler wrote:
> Got a customer who wants to use this printer with npconfig on their HP 3000.
> However, they do have an HP laserjet that could be used.  I think what I
> recall hearing is that the Ricoh can work but the HP laserjet, not being a
> foreign printer, would be easier to use?

If you are using real HP network printing without any third-party bells
and whistles, the HP software is expecting somewhere along the lines of
a JetDirect card or networked Laserjet III - IV and not much else.  It
generates fairly straightforward PCL output directed at tcp port 9100,
has a rudimentary knowledge of SNMP status reports from a
Laserjet/JetDirect, and later versions attempted some PJL handshaking in
order to synchronize headers, print, trailers, and some error recovery.

So everything worked exactly as expected/planned for a very narrow
window of time and hardware :-)

With that said, if you disable PJL (pjl_supported = FALSE), it
eliminates many problems with earlier Laserjets and third party
PCL-compatible printers, and now you're strictly dealing with fairly
straightforward PCL.

If the device isn't really an HP, it probably won't support the SNMP
status requests either, so you may want to disable SNMP as well
(snmp_enabled = FALSE).

The combination of one or both of these should make any printer happy
that "claims" to be PCL-compatible.

There was a later "turn off PCL" option (pcl_enabled = FALSE) but I
never had a run at that one to know just how generic that made the driver.

We have some Ricoh multi-function devices on campus and have done some
bulk printing to one before (not sure of the exact model), but the 3000
had no issues with it after suitably neutering the MPE configuration.

Jeff