HP3000-L Archives

September 2010, Week 3

From:
"Walter J. Murray" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Walter J. Murray
Date:
Wed, 15 Sep 2010 20:41:38 -0700
Greetings,

As others have pointed out already, the solution is to add $CONTROL
POST85 to the source file.

Why?  COBOL functions were added to the language in an ANSI addendum in
1989.  In the 1985 COBOL standard, upon which COBOL II/iX was based,
FUNCTION was not a reserved word, and there were undoubtedly programs
that used FUNCTION as a data name.  When you specify $CONTROL POST85,
you are telling the compiler to recognize the word FUNCTION as having a
special meaning, and it becomes a reserved word.  This is explained on
page 10-3 of the manual.

To avoid having to add $CONTROL POST85 to all your programs that might
use COBOL functions, I recommend editing the file COBCNTL.PUB.SYS and
adding $CONTROL POST85 to it, making it a system-wide default.  See page
B-33 of the manual.

Walter

Walter J. Murray