HP3000-L Archives

February 2010, Week 4

From:
Roy Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Roy Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Feb 2010 15:16:19 +0000
In message <003d01cab415$cf0a92d0$6d1fb870$@net>, Wyell Grunwald
<[log in to unmask]> writing at 18:21:48 in his/her local time
opines:-
>Sorry, that I was not clearer in my question.  I am NOT changing the order
>of items inside datasets, just the order of the datasets in the database,
>and sorting the items in the database !
>
>I want to change the order of the items and datasets in a turboimage
>database using ADAGER (of course) !  Does anyone know for sure if COGNOS
>Powerhouse (PDL, QUICK, QUIZ, QTP) uses internal numbers for
>items/datasets
>in their compiled code, which would cause this shuffling to be a
>disaster ?
>Does one have to re-compile the dictionaries, and other code ?
>
>Wyell Grunwald

Well; if you recompiled the dictionary, what would have changed?
It does not use an Image database to check that you have got the
dictionary right.

Does the Dictionary contain any of the internal item/dataset numbers?
Maybe it *can*, but mine never did, just strictly text descriptions of
datasets, datanames, keys, and so on.

And then, if you recompiled the Cognos code, what would have changed?
Again, it does not refer to any Image databases at compilation time to
check the accuracy of what it is being told.

I don't normally trust pure reason as a way of figuring these things
out, but the conclusion seems inescapable.

Unless someone knows that you *do* have to give Cognos a sample database
to sniff, to check its dictionaries and code?

I guess there might be a utility that, given a database, will sniff it
and generate a dictionary. But that's a different issue.

--
Roy Brown        'Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be
Kelmscott Ltd     useful, or believe to be beautiful'  William Morris