HP3000-L Archives

January 2010, Week 3

From:
Mark Ranft <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Ranft <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jan 2010 16:32:21 -0600
>            Has anyone done an upgrade from Vista to W7?

Ray,

First, I have heard that doing upgrades to Windows 7 (or to Vista) are not
as good as clean installs.  I would recommend doing a clean install, if you
can.

Personally I use a strategy where I buy a new hard drive and install on
that.  Then, using a USB drive carrier, I copy my files from my old disk to
the new one.  This allows a contingency should something go wrong, I
re-insert the old drive and I am back in business.

I recently bought a Gateway netbook.  It came with Vista.  Naturally out of
the box, all the drivers worked.  But I hated Vista.  When I tried to
install XP, I could not find XP drivers that worked with my wireless card.
I also had some other driver problems.  Then I installed the Windows 7
release candidate.  I was worried about the wireless drivers.  Under W7,
once I hooked it up to a hard LAN and did the Microsoft updates for W7, it
automatically found the correct wireless drivers.

I did have trouble finding a Cisco VPN client.  But after doing some
searching, I came up with one.  I now use Windows 7 on multiple computers.

HOWEVER....  Your mileage may vary.  There is an update advisor that you can
run.  I recommend that and doing some research via Google (on your hardware
and Windows 7).

Mark Ranft
Pro 3K