HP3000-L Archives

November 2009, Week 3

From:
James Hofmeister <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
James Hofmeister <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Nov 2009 11:27:48 -0800
The screaming over VISTA has always been curious to me...  For my HP laptop
I run what ever HP drops on my desk...

My last machine was a HP nc6220 running XP and the required HP bloated
applications, security software, etc. which had bogged this machine down to
the point where 10 seconds refreshing a screen and 45 minute boot-up was not
uncommon.

I picked up my new machine a HP 8510w running VISTA, installed the required
HP bloated applications, security + encryption added Google desktop, etc
...and when to work not looking back.

I would not claim that VISTA was any better than XP; just that my XP
experience gradually degraded to the point where a clean & faster machine
running VISTA improved my productivity greatly!

No plans to upgrade this machine to WIN7, I never upgrade desktops, and I
only go to a new OS when I buy a new machine (unless it's Linux of course).

P.S. Yes, I do admit finding commands in the VISTA version of Excel is a
productivity loss.

My frustration at the moment is after the effort put forth to harden my
infrastructure ...waking up in the morning to 4 PCs (3 XP 1 VISTA) which are
hung in the reboot for security fixes (and receiving the US-CERT message
warning of WIN security flaws in e-mail after the reboot).  It is time for
me to dig into those MS auto update parameters.

-James