HP3000-L Archives

September 2009, Week 2

From:
Roy Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Roy Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Sep 2009 20:11:25 +0100
In message <[log in to unmask]>, Jim Chance
<[log in to unmask]> writing at 06:52:33 in his/her local time
opines:-
>Does anyone have any experience taking an MPE delimited flat file

Delimited by what?

> directly into Word to populate?
>What design/approach, tools, process did you use?
>What worked best?
>
>Current considerations for us are: Crystal, Reflections/VBA/FTP then
>mail merge to Word.

I hesitate to try to teach anyone with the following CV how to suck
eggs:-

>Actively seeking HP3000 consulting/contract work anywhere in the United
>States; OR full-time/perm as an IT Mgr/Director, Project Manager or
>Crystal Developer in OHIO.

>PMP credential. IT since 1987. SQL Server 2k/2k5/2k8 admin, Advanced
>Crystal Reports 8.5/9/11 development and teaching, Project Management
>(small and medium scale), HP3000 expert, IBM/SCO/HP UNIX exp.,
>Migrations/Conversions, ERP tier I & II expert.

>See my resume' at: http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/resumes/jim_chance/jimchanceyahoo
>Company: http://www.practical-technology-solutions.com

>Jim Chance, DBA/Founder: Practical Technology Solutions
>Ashland, Ohio, 44805
>Cell: 419-651-6704
>Fax: 732-601-6704
>Email: [log in to unmask]

>Rent our condo in sunny warm Estero, Florida:
>http://www.vacationrentals.com/vacation-rentals/23683.html
>Our condo is also listed at: http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p239454

but I have done a lot of this stuff; and in general, bringing files into
Excel, rather than word, to work on them gives you a more versatile
approach.

But as you say 'mail merge', I presume you want to bring in a file of
names and addresses, and such?

In which case, it's easiest to ensure that the file is in a suitable
format before pulling it across from the HP3000. But it's not rocket
science to reformat it in Excel, or even Word.

I never needed anything beyond Reflection (sic) to import and export the
files I was working with; and I've been known to populate a database by
opening Query, doing an ADD <setname> and pasting in a list of data cut
from the Excel document it was residing in, via an export to Word.
(Hint:  a tab delimited horizontal data presentation can be converted
into a suitable file for this by Replace ^t With ^p).

But maybe you need something more structured?

I'm happy to help, remotely, with any data conversion you need (rate
card on request), but for oodles of free advice on this topic, see if my
NewsWire article:-

http://www.3000newswire.com/subscribers/MigrationBlues3Pt1-Oct04.html

helps at all.

--
Roy Brown        'Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be
Kelmscott Ltd     useful, or believe to be beautiful'  William Morris