HP3000-L Archives

June 2009, Week 2

From:
Brett Forsyth <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brett Forsyth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jun 2009 16:20:41 -0400
I know the world started somewhere around a Series C or CX - a little before
my time - but during one of those hmmm moments, I started thinking about
which HP3000 would we really brag about being the beginning of THE MACHINE.

Which one would we nominate to the Hall of Fame?

I was around during Series IIs & IIIs, and with polling wires, interupt jumpers,
backplane terminators, "interesting" backplanes and the like, they were not
the most friendly computer (support-wise), and could become the home of the
intermitten nightmare.  The 7970B/E and 7920/25 series productlines kept an
HP CE with great job security. Lucklily, the HP support product of the time
was striving for stellar, and keep the customer base content during the
evolution of the product - quite a common goal back when Bill and Dave were
running things.

My vote would probably go the the Series 30 thru 70 product line, not so
much the first models in the 30/33 40/44 era, and although I thought the desk
model was kinda cool,  most of the client base complained about the loss of
the instruction register lights.  How else could you tell if it was hung or not?

The Series 70 in all its glory was a very hefty machine, payload capable with a
stabilty appropriate to the top evolution of the line - quite ahead of it's time.
Pair that with the support model of the '80s - lots of talent, training and parts
in the field with phenominal documentation and support available - and you
can well understand how Hewlett-Packard Company (not to be confused with
today's HP) came to be the corporate model it used to be.

So I guess I just said my vote for the machine that really started it all, like
started them down the great road, would be the Series 30, although I could
see where many would vote for the Series IIILC (one of which I would love to
find for personal reasons).

Plus the 793X series of disc of the same era, had a great dual purpose utility.
If put into butterfly seek test - looped of course - one could put a small
container of alcohol on the outside top of the disc module, pop your jewelery
into it, and by the time your call was finished, your stuff was spotless and
shone beyond compare.

Just another one of the reasons HP CEs used to look so good...