HP3000-L Archives

June 2009, Week 2

From:
Warren Wolfe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 8 Jun 2009 12:48:30 -1000
Brett Forsyth wrote:
> Why are the only people who stand up for HP are no longer employed by HP?
>
> Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmmm...

Hi, Brett,

The way I see it, HP used to be almost Nirvana for engineers.  HP did
things RIGHT, both in terms of making their products, and in treating
their people.  Nobody is perfect, but they made a serious effort to do
things the best way they could.  That was the focus, the mission.  Now,
HP is a major manufacturer of printers and PCs, period.  The higher
focus is gone, and that focus is what generated the huge loyalty to HP.
I never worked for them, but I always greatly admired their "engineering
first" approach, that gave me an HP 35 calculator with a broken-off
button...  that could still be read, because the number went all the way
down the button.  (Ick.  Badly phrased.  Sorry.)

I loved HP computers, learned on them, and worked with them.  A couple
of weeks ago, a friend of mine was looking for a laptop, and was
deciding between an HP and a Dell, and I said he should go with the
Dell, because the price/performance was better.  Later, I was sad when I
realized that in the past, that would not have been the key issue -- the
HP quality would have given their machine the edge.  Now, just compare
features; the machines are just about the same.  It was nice to have
SOMEONE out there just making great machines.  That's ny .02 on this.

Warren