HP3000-L Archives

May 2009, Week 5

From:
Jim Alexander <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim Alexander <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 May 2009 22:59:39 -0700
Everybody,

Thanks for all the suggestions.   The LineJet printer issue has been
resolved when on of the more senior network guys finally admitted that
"Yes, we are serving up IP addresses to BOOTP devices."

We are first connecting to a temporary switch that was going to be
replaced when the entire network was switched from Longs to CVS.   And
they had already planned to turn off BOOTP and DHCP that was coming from
the switch and instead provide the DHCP from a Windows server, but they
wanted that funcitonality in advance while they were setting up the PCs
on their network in another room.

Kinda sucks when you have multiple people tell you that you are
generally crazy because "their equipment would not be doing that" only
to find out that is exactly what is being done.

Had the BOOTP serving not been turned off, my next step would have been
to enable BOOTP on the HP3000 and serve up the proper IP addresses
specifically for the MAC addesses, which would have overridden their
process as was indicated by the "kowledgable" network admin on their
side.

All is well in LineJet printer land.  :-)

--
Jim Alexander   Longs Drug Stores
Sr. Systems Programmer  925-210-6901