HP3000-L Archives

May 2009, Week 3

From:
Ron Seybold <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ron Seybold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 May 2009 17:24:39 -0500
Hello Friends/Ron,

(I'm just out of my May print issue writing, and have a bit of time
to respond here.)

>So then with practically just about everyone migrated from the
>HP3000, what is OpenMPE fighting for?  Some version of MPE that sits
>on a windows/linix box.  What's the point of that?

Hey, practically everyone Has Not migrated from the 3000. Not yet.
And you either believe OpenMPE had an impact on HP's 3000 end-game
since 2003, or you don't. Fighting for? Not a fight anymore when HP
has left the ring. Maybe when Invent3k and its utility programs and
scripts emerge from OpenMPE there will be something to change some
minds and open a few eyes. I doubt it, though.

Programmers might want to use a pipe to redirect their OpenMPE angst
into HP, where this dilemma began. I never understood why volunteers
could be so reviled. Or how, unless those scoffing have not
volunteered recently.

Ron Seybold
3000 Newswire

PS. If MPE sits on a Linux box, then HP's 3000 hardware, aging all
the time, can be taken out of the homesteading formula. (Send e-mail
to Strobe Data to see how this works for the HP 1000, and Digital
Vaxen -- and for whom.) Many other things are needed to make MPE on
Linux a success, like support, marketing, R&D -- the usual list of
suspects to let any product succeed. Oh, modifiable source wouldn't
hurt, either. See that pipe to HP, above, to send your requests for
real source.