HP3000-L Archives

April 2009, Week 4

From:
donna hofmeister <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 22 Apr 2009 09:20:13 -0700
A frequent recommendation on this list has been to do two-step ftp's.  it's
not a perfect solution but in many situations it workable.

It appears that when using 'dir' in this manner -- DIR [remote-directory]
[local-file] -- 'local file' is purged (if needed) and (re-)built as an
80-byte file just as you discovered.  I don't see a way around it.  And yes,
ftp is it's glorious short-sightedness will truncate file names in order to
fit information into an 80-byte record.  (the format is listfile,2)

Fwiw, 'ls' (LS [remote-directory] [local-file]) will also by-default,
without-asking, I-don't-care-what-you-want build an 80-byte file too.  As
dave discovered, the advantage here is you'll get a simple, vertical list of
file names.  So unless you have file names that exceed 78-bytes (because of
the leading './') you're ok using 'ls'.  (the format is listfile,6)

Fwiw #2, neither dir nor ls will walk the directory tree...

So dave, you found the solution/work-around -- use ls and be happy (cause we
ain't gettin' no patch now!)   - d

---
Donna Hofmeister
Allegro Consultants, Inc.