HP3000-L Archives

April 2009, Week 3

From:
donna hofmeister <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 21 Apr 2009 08:06:58 -0700
Citing from http://docs.hp.com/en/36922-90042/apas06.html#d0e14990

Recv dropped: addr — Total number of frames received by the adapter card,
but dropped because no upper layer protocol had requested future reception
of those frames, or because that protocol unbound itself from the link while
the received frame was still in motion. Older, intelligent adapter cards can
invisibly receive and drop these frames, often without ever reporting them
as statistics. But today's adapters are not intelligent, and require link
driver involvement. For users unfamiliar with seeing it, this statistic may
seem excessive. But it is important because it gives an indication of the
amount of unnecessary traffic present on the network segment to which the
adapter card is connected. High values may indicate a need to resegment the
network, since systems and their adapters are spending a large amount of
time and resources recognizing and dropping frames they do not care to see.
High volumes of such traffic can also limit network bandwidth. The maximum
printable value of this 64-bit field is 17 digits, or about 99 million
billion frames. In the previous example, out of 15.7 million frames
received, 9.87 million have been dropped based on address: about 63 percent
of all frames received are then being dropped. This level would be
considered high.

Something out there is 'yacking it up', looking for anything listening
(probably on a certain port).  Bootp multicast would be a good example.

Using the manual's example of dividing 'recv dropped addr' by 'receives no
error' and paul's number -- I get 6% which is probably not a big deal.

Hth       - d

---
Donna Hofmeister
Allegro Consultants, Inc.