HP3000-L Archives

February 2009, Week 4

From:
Roy Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Roy Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Feb 2009 11:26:55 +0000
In message <[log in to unmask]>,
Chuck Ryan <[log in to unmask]> writes
>I am not sure what is worse.
>
>That he asked that question, without any obvious concern for the ethics
>of what he wants to do, or that you gave him an answer with as much
>disregard.
>
>Comments are my own, not my employer's... etc.

When I am in Spain, I can watch BBC programmes from the UK on my Sky
satellite.

I pay for a TV licence in the UK.

But I can't watch repeats over the BBC I-Player on the 'net in Spain, as
I can here in the UK, as it detects my Spanish IP address there, and
blocks me.

It's a copyright/licensing thing, not a piracy issue, FWIW.

I used to use Pandora, a LastFM/Spotify type of service, to listen to
music over the internet, but when I go there now, I get:

Dear Pandora Visitor,

We are deeply, deeply sorry to say that due to licensing constraints, we
can no longer allow access to Pandora for listeners located outside of
the U.S. We will continue to work diligently to realize the vision of a
truly global Pandora, but for the time being we are required to restrict
its use. We are very sad to have to do this, but there is no other
alternative.

We believe that you are in United Kingdom (your IP address appears to be
nn.nnn.nnn.nnn). If you believe we have made a mistake, we apologize and
ask that you please contact us at [log in to unmask]

If you are a paid subscriber, please contact us at
[log in to unmask] and we will issue a pro-rated refund to the
credit card you used to sign up. If you have been using Pandora, we will
keep a record of your existing stations and bookmarked artists and
songs, so that when we are able to launch in your country, they will be
waiting for you.

We will be notifying listeners as licensing agreements are established
in individual countries. If you would like to be notified by email when
Pandora is available in your country, please enter your email address
below. The pace of global licensing is hard to predict, but we have the
ultimate goal of being able to offer our service everywhere.

We share your disappointment and greatly appreciate your understanding.

Sincerely,

Tim Westergen

Tim Westergren
Founder

I can also no longer listen to KASE 101 from Austin, which I used to
greatly enjoy, for the same reasons:

Licensed Content Access Request

Your IP Address: nn.nnn.nnn.nnn

Due to licensing restrictions, we are not able to allow access to the
content you are requesting from outside the United States. We are sorry
we can no longer provide access to Canada. If you currently reside in
the United States, please select one of the options below to process
your request. Please allow up to 60 hours to process your request.

Choose from the following:

     I am US Military

     I live outside the United States

     I am inside the United States

(Correctly detected IP address above munged in both cases to protest my
privacy)

I've thought about using a service to fake my IP address so I can do
these things, both of which I used to be able to do perfectly well, once
again.

I would not think it in the slightest bit unethical to do this; my
criterion being 'Would I be depriving anybody of any revenue by so
doing?' And the answer being 'No, I wouldn't'.

--
Roy Brown        'Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be
Kelmscott Ltd     useful, or believe to be beautiful'  William Morris