HP3000-L Archives

February 2009, Week 4

From:
Tom Emerson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tom Emerson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Feb 2009 12:16:46 -0800

This summer, I'll be vacationing in Italy.  It turns out that the "tour"
that I'll be on has an unusual start/end date combination: we leave the
US on a tuesday [meaning we arrive on a wednesday] and "return" on a
thursday.  In a work-week minded world, that means the only "working"
days will be a monday followed by the friday of the following week,
almost pointless to show up for either (or both) of these days, so I'm
looking into other spots to visit along the way... [this is the setup,
folks...]

So, tickling the back of my mind is the fact I'd like to visit the
Museum of technology in Munich, and so to get a better idea of what the
museum has to offer, I check wikipedia [this is the journey down the
rabbit hole...]

- From there, here is where my path leads... (heh heh heh)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deutsches_Museum

I noticed that the museum is located on an island, and in my trip to
Germany last year, I visited a similar "museum island" in Berlin, so I
checked there
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deutsches_Museum_(disambiguation)
(via the altes and pergamon museum links to)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Museum_Island

which got me to thinking of other museums in Germany, so I check on the link
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_museums_in_Berlin

to find
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_Museum_of_Technology_(Berlin)

which starts out by talking about
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Konrad_Zuse

and his "turing complete" Z3 computer.  The page on Zuse pretty much
ends with his "theory of the universe" :) so off I go to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calculating_Space
and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_physics
[and, surprisingly, nobody mentioned "the Matrix" in this discussion]

but they did mention
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypercomputation
which is based on the existence of
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oracle_machine
which can compute
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halting_problem
but also mentions
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Busy_beaver
which delves into
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kolmogorov_complexity
and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%B6del%27s_incompleteness_theorem

and, umm, like "whoa, dude, where'd my morning go?"

Tom [and I didn't even START on the path leading to Turing] Emerson