HP3000-L Archives

February 2009, Week 3

From:
Gordon Montgomery <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gordon Montgomery <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Feb 2009 18:44:38 -0700
I have 3 HP LaserJets connected to my HP969 version 7.0.
This is the NPCONFIG file:

LSS:print npconfig.pub.sys
global  (jam_recovery = TRUE
         banner_header = FALSE
         banner_trailer = FALSE
         message_interval = 60
         snmp_enabled = FALSE
         pjl_supported = TRUE
        )

15      (network_address = 10.0.2.72
         SNMP_get_community_name = "public")
16      (network_address = 10.0.2.73)
17      (network_address = 10.0.2.74)

All the printers are configured with plain 8.5 x 11 and portrait as the
defaults. However, we have several reports that print landscape. I've
checked the program that generates the report. There are no embedded
escape sequences that would change the orientation. There is no
file equation for any environment file. If I pause the spooler and look at
the spool file in hex mode, I can see that only the cctl character exists
in the file. When I capture the file as it is sent to the printer, ( Ethereal,
now Wireshark is so useful at times! ) I can see escape sequences
added to the front of the file. Where do those come from? Is there
a default env file that gets added to files sent to network laserprinters?
Where might that be stored, and can it be changed or omitted?
I also noticed a lot of PJL code at the beginning, but when I changed
the NPCONFIG option pjl_supported = FALSE, that went away, but
the escape sequences stayed.

All this is unfortunately for a migration project. I'm already starting to
miss the MPE way, and we're not even migrated yet!

Thanks,

Gordon Montgomery
Living Scriptures, Inc.
(801) 627-2000