HP3000-L Archives

February 2009, Week 1

From:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Feb 2009 15:51:07 -0500
As long as we're speaking of migrations from MPE to UNIX/Linux, let me show
you some of our results.

Last week I calculated the performance gains we've made over the last 25
years. This was possible because we've been using test database (a real
customer's database from 1984) and QueryCalc reports we wrote in the
earliest versions of QC that we ran on an HP3000 Series 33.

The newest reports were run just last week on the UNIX/PC client/server
version of QueryCalc, which we now call QCReports.

Migration of the database and reports was accomplished using (i) the
QueryCalc/QCReports converter program, and (ii) the Eloquence database run
on a small $500 Dell Linux box. Conversion of the reports took just a few
minutes. Installation of the Eloquence database and conversion from IMAGE to
Eloquence required a day, but it too was easy.

The Series 33 report ran in 22 minutes in 1985. The machine cost $165,000 in
1978 dollars, which I'll now estimate to be equivalent to about $500,000.

The Dell Linux box cost less than $500 a few months ago.

The same report now runs in 3.1 seconds. That's a 412,000-to-1 improvement
in price-performance over our original HP3000. Perhaps more importantly,
that's more performance than we could get out of the largest and most
modern HP3000, regardless of price.

You can demonstrate this performance to yourself if you wish. You can
download the new QCReports client from:

   http://aics-research.com/qcreports/updates/qcreports-setup.exe

It installs similarly to any other Windows-based program.

Once you've installed the program, run it from the start menu. You'll see that
it looks like a standard spreadsheet, and it works very much like one. Every
cell is a fullly functional numerical/financial calculator, a graphics grid and a
query generator into a database.

Notice the red rectangle at the upper-left of the display. This indicator light
indicates that the client is not yet connected to a host. Use "File > Open" to
open the report named "training-incomerp." This is the 1984 MPE/IMAGE
QueryCalc test report, unmodified from that time, other than having been
migrated.

As you open the file, you'll see this sequence:

  o  The indicator will turn yellow, indicating that the client has established an
SSH connection with the small Dell Linux box that I was mentioning here in
New Mexico.

  o  The indicator will then turn green, indicating that it completed negotiation
with Eloquence and logged into the specified Eloquence database.

  o  The report "training-incomerp" will then load.

  o  The database schema for QCDEMO, which is the customer's database, will
then be downloaded from the Linux box to your PC.

At this point, you're ready to recalculate the report.

To do that, type "!!" and press RETURN to recalculate the spreadsheet and all
query questions. The report won't complete in the 3.1 seconds we experience
here because of propagation delays in the internet, but it should complete in
less than 10 seconds. You can then print the report if you wish.

All of this can be automated, and it has been,. Open a second report
called "training-macro" using "File > Open". Once loaded, double-click on the
now-visible button (which actually contains a script macro to load several
reports sequentially, one of which is the income report we just calculated.)

This macro presents the same report output reformatted several different
ways: (i) as a simulated line printer output, (ii) in fancier fonts, and (iii) as a
demonstration graphic, accompanied by two pie charts.

If you wish to now dispose of QCReports at the end of the demonstration, go
to "Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs" and delete QCReports from your PC.

Wirt Atmar