HP3000-L Archives

January 2009, Week 3

From:
Michael Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 20 Jan 2009 13:21:17 -0500
Another common problem with Programmer Studio (PS) in a multi-programmer
environment:

Project files can be stored on remote servers, server profiles are stored
on the Windows workstation.

Scenario: Two MPE Cobol programmers, working on the same project file. The
project file is saved on the MPE machine in the posix file space.

Both programmer are required to have a server profile defined to connect
to the MPE server. Programmer#1 create a profile called HP-e3000, and
Programmer#2 called it HP3000, Same IP address, Same Login, only the name
is different. Although they are working on the same application, they have
never edited or save each others work so all is good. Until one day
programmer#1 is out sick and Programmer#2 is asked to work on
Programmer#1's portion of the app.

They are sharing the the same project file and references to files in the
project contain the server profile name. So when Programmer#2 tries to
open a file created by Programmer#1 an error occurs because the server
profile 'HP-e3000' does not exist on Programmer#2's workstation.

Other odd things can also occur when the two profiles have the same name
and IP address, yet differ settings, like MPE user name and security
settings.

Mike.