HP3000-L Archives

November 2008, Week 3

From:
"Dave Powell, MMfab" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave Powell, MMfab
Date:
Mon, 17 Nov 2008 12:47:52 -0800
Instead of using ";spsave" as others have suggested, you can start with the
disk file and then print later.

Where the old jcl says something like

"file abc; dev=lp"

replace with something like

!IF  FINFO ("permfile.group", "EXISTS")
!    PURGE permfile.group
!ENDIF
!FILE  abc = permfile.group, NEW; DEV=DISC; CCTL; SAVE &
!  ; REC=,32,F,ASCII; DISC=60000,32,0
!RUN myprog.group.acct

That creates the regular file (note it picks up the record length
automagically from the program).
Then print with something like

!FILE  xyz;     DEV=LP,13,1; CCTL
!PRINT permfile.group            >   *xyz

You can print copies to different printers.  Or rename the file to save as
many generations as you like.  For some of our applications, being able to
chose our own file name works MUCH better than trying to figure out what spool
file number the system chose.

There is a different trick for job listings, if that happens to be what you
are trying to do.