HP3000-L Archives

November 2008, Week 3

From:
Mark Landin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Landin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Nov 2008 11:09:48 -0600
you could write a listener service on windows tha could accept
messages from your COBOL program. this service would do all
communication with the SQL DB. your COBOL program would need t be able
to send messages via TCP/IP but that can be done.

overall, ODBC may be simpler. we use the minisoft product. good stuff.

On 11/17/08, Anderson, Russ <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> We are a split shop... half COBOL/Image and half Microsoft (.NET, SQL,
> etc.)  We have an MPE
> application that needs real-time communication with an MS SQL Server
> database.  We need for
> the program to be able to insert a record into the SQL database and to
> be able to retrieve an updated
> copy of the record at a later point in time.  The insertion of the
> record fires a trigger to instigate a MS
> web-services call that will update the record.  We have both the
> web-services call and the COBOL
> application already in hand, the only missing piece would be the
> communications between the SQL
> database and the application.  This would need to be a real-time,
> multiple user connection.  Is there
> a way to do this without utilizing a 3rd party ODBC application?  If
> not, is there a definitive ODBC
> choice.
>
> Thanks in advance.

"If hard work were such a wonderful thing, you'd think rich people
would have kept it all for themselves" - Lane Kirkland