HP3000-L Archives

November 2008, Week 1

From:
Jerry Fochtman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jerry Fochtman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Nov 2008 14:55:35 -0600
In today's society its not uncommon for people of mixed race or
nationality to declare themselves
of one or the other depending upon which may benefit them at the time.
And this is especially
true if it gives them the ability to play the discrimination card. I've
seen this first hand on
a number of different occasions. I'm not proposing that this is true in
this case, however, it's
become known that one of the campaign strategies that has come-out which
was used on a
number of occasions was when difficult questions were posed concerning
proposals/etc. the
democrates would claim it was racists driven and would not answer. It
was ironic that they even
terms Clinton a racist at one point....notice how he/Hilary seemed to
disengage....

I do think its interesting that it was the Democratic folks that
continually raised this as a
campaign issue. Does anyone recall any time when McCain or Palin raised
this issue
as many times as Obama or others? And for most all people I visited with
they were interested
in learning more about where Obama stood on issues and his background
that may have influenced
his thinking. I personally could care less about one's color, it's what
is your position on the
important issues and proposals...and whether they align with my views or
not that will influence
my decision.

Technically, Obama, born from one white parent and one black parent, is
defined as mulatto
according to Merriam-Webster::

Main Entry: mu·lat·to

Pronunciation: \mə-ˈla-(ˌ)tō, mu̇-, myu̇-, -ˈlä-\

Function: /noun/

Inflected Form(s): /plural/ mu·lat·toes /or/ mu·lat·tos

Etymology: Spanish /mulato,/ from /mulo/ mule, from Latin /mulus/

Date: 1593

1 *:* the first-generation offspring of a black person and a white person
2 *:* a person of mixed white and black ancestry

The Urban Dictionary further defines mulato as "Halfican American".

Regardless of all this....I think that by in-large, the press did the
American people a
great injustice throughout this election cycle based upon the
differences in how they
chose to report (or not report) information. I am also concerned about the
tactics that were used on Palin, Joe the plumber, some reporting news
groups and
others in terms of working to discredit them because they had different
instead of simply clarifying/defending the candidate's position. I'm
concerned
how this might occur again....(shades of 'tricky Dick'...)