HP3000-L Archives

October 2008, Week 4

From:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Oct 2008 16:50:13 -0400
Donna writes:

> Those are the rules we have to play by, unfortunately.
>
> I wish we were allowed to talk about what we're working on to be able to
> give y'all (I don't know if that word has a british translation ;-) a sense
> of what's being done and what progress is being made.
>
> I guess one might be able to say "hmmm...they're meeting with hp a
> lot...and maybe that means something is happening"?

As I've written before, having the OpenMPE committee agree to sign non-
disclosure agreements was one of the dumbest mistakes that the committee
could have ever made, and in the end, could well be attributed to be the
single greatest contributor to the death of MPE, beyond HP's own mishandlings
of the product.

However, there is a reasonable alternative that might help remedy the
situation for all concerned and still work within HP's rules: have everyone on
HP3000-L sign a non-disclosure agreement, just as the board has done.
Secondly, detailed records of the minutes would be posted on passworded
website so that only authorized users could read the minutes, but where that
password be given out to only those who signed the HP NDA.

The punishment for anyone breaking this NDA could easily be made quite
severe. Anyone found in violation of the NDA, for any reason, could be banned
from HP's customer list, so that HP would never again sell a new HP3000 to
them for all time in the future.

This simple solution would seem to work in everyone's favor.

Wirt Atmar