HP3000-L Archives

October 2008, Week 3

From:
Paul Raulerson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Raulerson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Oct 2008 12:37:42 -0700

On Tuesday, October 21, 2008, at 12:24PM, "Matthew Perdue" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>Quoting Paul Raulerson (in part):
>
>"... I was just wanting details. I was planning on giving them to our legal
>department..."
>
>Ah, being proactive... very good... your company is lucky to have you there.
>You probably wouldn't be shocked to see how many heads are in the sand or in
>the clouds (clouds of what I won't say...).
>
>You've got enough information to pass on to the legal department with a case
>scenario for the legal eagles to do their statutory and case law research.

Ah- no, we don't. :)  As I mentioned, there have already been cases like there around
here, and the results have been quite different from what happened to your folks up
wherever they are.

The result here in Austin was that the people affected were back in
the building before lunchtime.

And if some incident like that had happened to me, I would not have been
a bit embarassed, but I sure as heck would have done everything possible
to embarass the goofballs that caused the situation. I would have gotten
it in the paper some how or another. :)

There was a similar incident at a federal bank up in Minnesota around 1989 or 1990.
All sorts of direct deposit checks got held up.

You can bet that the Feds in the area ensured that would never happen again!

>The reason I refer to Austin as "the Independent Enclave of Austin" is the
>judges there appear to believe they don't need to always follow the law in
>the State of Texas. Remember "Judge Roy Bean, law west of the Pecos"? I've
>got a saying about a particular so-called "justice of the peace" around my
>part of Texas - I call him "law East of Martinez Creek" because of his
>flagrant violation of statutes - routinely overturned on appeal. He's in
>Wilson county, by the way, which is why I say East of Martinez Creek.

And I tend to think the judges here like to have cases presented pretty much as
just the facts. The less rhetoric the better. :)

I'm not a lawyer, but I do deal with them all the time...