HP3000-L Archives

October 2008, Week 3

From:
Matthew Perdue <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Matthew Perdue <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Oct 2008 23:15:19 -0500
Quoting Paul Raulerson:

"Sure- that's what we have mean, nasty, hungry lawyers for of course.  And
we own our building, which conveys different kinds of rights."

and

"Still, a natural disaster is way different that some city goofballs kicking
you out of your building. That kind of nonsense would NOT have been
tolerated here. The nutcases who tried to pull something like that would
have been eagle meat - so long as the eagles have passed their bar exams and
like raw meat. ;)"

Paul:

I think you missed some points or details... remember I said " Everyone in
the building, including several state agencies" - one of those state
agencies was the Office of the Attorney General of the particular state. For
the record, it wasn't "city goofballs" kicking people out of the building -
it was the fire marshal and the health department (city and state health
departments, actually). The fire marshal and health departments have the
legal authority to condemn buildings as unfit for human occupation, and that
holds in every state in the United States, including Texas, the Independent
Enclave of Austin and the District of Columbia.

Owning the building does not confer any special rights to continue to occupy
the building when the fire marshall and health department have restricted or
prohibited access - the building owner's office was in this building too -
they were thrown out with all the tenants.