HP3000-L Archives

October 2008, Week 2

From:
Duane Percox <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Duane Percox <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Oct 2008 09:22:32 -0700
Roy writes:

>Although the behaviour is undocumented, MPE's PURGELINK
>actually behaves like the posix rm, and will remove a file
>that is in use by appearing to PURGE it, but leaving the
>unlinked copy there for the existing Readers and Writers,
>until the last Reader exits it.

One caution with purgelink (which have we used since the early
days of its existence with positive results)...

We have had system failures or hangs when using purgelink against
SL's when being accessed by running programs.

We never tracked down the particular issue, but just stopped using
purgelink on SL files (which we have very little use for anyway)...

Otherwise a very nice and helpful command...

duane