HP3000-L Archives

October 2008, Week 1

From:
donna hofmeister <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 7 Oct 2008 14:08:25 -0700
udc's -- user defined commands -- have been around since nearly the dawn of
time ;-)

in the old (mpe v (5)) days they were (about?) the only way to write a
'script'...and calling a udc a script is probably a stretch.  I guess you
could think of a udc more like an on-line job or simply a collection of
commands/programs to run.

with new mpe came true ci scripting and a whole host of specialized
functions that makes mpe scripting a real pleasure. (thank you, jeff!)

ido (in donna's opinion (hehehe)) there's only two reasons now to use a udc
-- when you need something to happen a login time ('option logon' will be
the 2nd line in the udc) and if you need to 'commandeer' an existing mpe
command (like listf or purge...or my personal fav -- shutdown).  continuing
with donna's opinion....if I *have* to write a udc I'll bail out of the udc
by the 3rd line -- which will be an 'xeq' of a ci script.

as paul has discovered try to change a udc which is in use is a pain.
scripts are our friend.

...and sysstart is it's own animal ;-)         - d

---
Donna Hofmeister
Allegro Consultants, Inc.
408-252-2330