HP3000-L Archives

October 2008, Week 1

From:
Charles Finley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Charles Finley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Oct 2008 08:42:46 -0700
Hopefully, someone with more knowledge about this will respond also.  Still,
for what it's worth, here are my opinions and observations:

1) The latest version I've seen is 1.3 (do not confuse that with 1.3.1 which
is a more useful level) JAVA is now up to 1.7 (aka 7.0) with 1.6 (aka 6.0)
and 1.5 (aka 5.0) being the widest use versions.

2) There are some native pieces to JAVA that are proprietary to HP.  It does
not seem to be possible to port a newer version to the HP 3000 without
access to those sources and when it was last discussed in my presence, HP
was unwilling to give anyone access to the code.

3) By MPE standards, JAVA is a resource hog.  It runs slowly on the HP 3000.

4) One key motivation for using JAVA is the wide availability of code from
others.  There is a shrinking body of code around that is compatible with
JAVA 1.3.

5) Compared to other platforms. The documentation on how to use JAVA on the
HP 3000 is sparse.

6) There was never a decent version of X development tools available on the
HP 3000 so the graphical tools are not available on the HP 3000.

We have used JAVA on the HP 3000 to do a few little tasks and the version
that is there is still useful to an extent.  That said, we use JAVA on
Windows, Linux, HP-UX, etc. and there are many things one is able to do with
JAVA that is not possible with JAVA on the HP 3000.

Hope this helps.

Charles Finley
619-795-0720

database 3497 (20081006) __________