HP3000-L Archives

October 2008, Week 1

From:
"Johnson, Tracy" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Johnson, Tracy
Date:
Thu, 2 Oct 2008 20:46:44 -0400
Sometime 3rd party backups will appear as MPE/V format.  Backpack
(a.k.a. Roadrunner) tapes may do this.

Rather than belabor whether it is an MPE/V tape, it may be easier just
to see if it is a 3rd Party Backup tape.

Just go ahead and do a RESTORE of TWO possible files:

FILE T;DEV=7
RESTORE *T;BACKREST.PUB.SYS,ROADREST.PUB.SYS;SHOW

If either one of these files appear on the RESTORE.  Then it is a tape
made by a 3rd party backup utility.

Both of these are programs (made by two incarnations of the same
company) that will perform tape restore operations on these tapes only.

Let us know.

Tracy Johnson
Measurement Specialties, Inc.

BT