HP3000-L Archives

September 2008, Week 2

From:
John Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 9 Sep 2008 12:58:40 -0500
4d3e1b2.jpgFrom today's NY Times, since we are a political discussion group :)

September 9, 2008
Op-Ed Contributor

To Change Washington, Move Out

By MARK W. EVERSON

AMERICANS appear eager for real change in Washington and for their
politicians to work across party lines. Heres a proposal that could
accomplish both: Decentralize the executive branch of government.

No other element of our society is as concentrated as the leadership of our
federal bureaucracy. Our agricultural, energy and industrial bases are
widespread, as are our educational, religious and cultural institutions.
Even the financial system, while centered in New York, has significant
components in other cities.

The concentration of top-level civil servants in Washington poses an undue
risk in this age of terrorism, of which we are acutely reminded this week.

In addition, the high cost of living in and near the District of Columbia
chases away talent. And this problem will only get worse with the
retirement of senior managers, most of whom started their careers under a
generous retirement plan that made it worthwhile to stay on the job until
at least their mid-50s. Younger managers, lacking such incentive, are more
likely to be lured away by lucrative opportunities in the private sector.

The median salary for a federal employee in the Washington area is more
than $90,000. Contractors, consulting firms and other organizations in the
area that work for the government pay considerably more, and the huge
increase in government spending since 2001 has produced remarkable wealth.
Several Washington-area counties are now among the richest in the nation.
It makes no sense to continue spending taxpayersmoney in an already wealthy
region while other areas struggle economically.

Three years ago, I suggested the idea of moving the headquarters of the
Internal Revenue Service to New Orleans, thinking that a federal campus
there, providing some 7,000 stable, well-paying jobs, could anchor
redevelopment after Hurricane Katrina. Such a move could still be a boon to
recovery in New Orleans. And the same could be done for regions like the
Midwest, where car makers and other industrial employers are contracting.

The best candidates for relocation would be departments like Homeland
Security and Veterans Affairs, which are more involved in operating
government than in making policy.

The least likely to leave Washington would be the four cabinet departments
that constitute the core of government: State, Treasury, Justice and
Defense. But headquarters for pieces of these departments the I.R.S. within
Treasury, for example, and the Drug Enforcement Administration within
Justice could be moved to places like Michigan, Ohio and Missouri, states
that already have a large educated work force.

Protectors of the status quo might argue that such decentralization would
not allow proper Congressional oversight. But consider the Centers for
Disease Control and Prevention. It works just fine in Atlanta.

Running government operations outside the Beltway would more equitably
distribute government jobs and at the same time help limit the undue
influence of Washington. John McCain and Barack Obama both say they want to
change Washington and partisan politics. If they mean it, they should give
this proposal serious attention.

Mark W. Everson was the commissioner of internal revenue from 2003 to 2007.

  "te

* To join/leave the list, search archives, change list settings, * * etc., please visit http://raven.utc.edu/archives/hp3000-l.html *