HP3000-L Archives

August 2008, Week 5

From:
Brian Donaldson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brian Donaldson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Aug 2008 19:28:16 -0400
<<snip>>

Lastly, if you can run your business on a 917LX, why would you even consider
upgrading to an N4000/e3000?

<<end snip>>

The only reason I would consider upgrading is that on my 917LX I cannot
go beyond MPEiX 6.5 whereas the "N" or "A" class boxes are up in the 7.x
version of MPEiX (as are other models of the HP3000).

Of course, however, I do not know what upgrading to 7.5 will give me that
I don't already have except peace of mind (knowing I have the latest &amp;
greatest version of MPEiX, TurboIMAGE etc. etc.)

Another reason is that I find the HP3000 to be very stable. I acquired my
917LX almost 10 years ago and haven't had a bit of trouble with it (yet).
Other than self inflicted issues I encountered trying to clean out the box
and the disc drives (groan.)

Over the past few years I have added "stuff" to the original configuration
(larger capacity drives, more memory, "new"er LAN card, new internal
ribbon cable and so on).

Yes, I spent a *lot* of money on my little 917LX way back when and I think
it will be a l-o-n-g time before I buy another (more powerful) box...

So far I have been able to develop a lot of things on my 917LX without
any problems. No complaints so far from anyone....

Anyway, regardless of the cost of the boxes and all the software
problems/issues I have encountered along the way (and there are a lot of
them!) I still consider the HP3000 to be the best platform I have *ever*
worked on (so far).....

Brian.