HP3000-L Archives

August 2008, Week 1

From:
Brett Forsyth <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brett Forsyth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Aug 2008 18:02:25 -0400
Hey, when did I talk about software? That is a whole different issue.  If you
look back in the thread, I was only referring to 3K hardware and the OS.  By
no means and I suggesting or recommending circumventing any software
licensing issues... but then again, if I bought the software and paid for it, why
can I not sell it where I please?  Why do the vendors get back in the picture,
they have brought nothing new to the table?

Anyway, the original issue here is "dead" 3000 systems - what is their status,
what is their purpose, and are they actually unusable just because HP says
they are (this week)?

I knew this would start some conversation, and I have discussed this issue
already with a very few intelligently involved partys today.

Confusion seems to be the theme here...

So... let's un-digress.

Is a 3K (with lastest supported OS only) no longer valid just because a
papertrail has been lost?  And worse than that, since HP has all the docs on
file as to who and where a 3K has been, is it fair for them to not be
forthcoming with this information, and require an RTU to be purchased at
great expense?

From a $400 transfer fee to an $80K RTU - that's quite a penalty for losing a
piece of paper that SLT still has on file.  Nice chuck for profit for HP too,
considering they have brought nothing to the table.  How about if I pay HP for
the time to track down this information instead.  Can you spell monopoly? Can
your spell Sherman Anti-trust Act?

C-l-i-e-n-t  S-y-s-t-e-m-s

When an system is upgraded, the old box goes back to HP for credit.  When
an OS is upgraded, where does the old OS go?  Involved in the purchase of
the new OS I believe.  What if I don't wish the credit and prefer to keep the
old system and OS?  Kinda like taking the tiny trade-in for your car, as
opposed to shoving it on Craigslist and getting a better ROI.

Furthermore, if a client does not upgrade, and simply buys another system, is
it not his right to sell the old one, and why does HP think that they need to
get in the loop?  Isn't that like GM trying to get you to pay for the engine
again after you have just bought a used GM car?

Things that make you go "hmmmmm"....

Right To Use - I bought the box, paid for it, keep updating the OS as per HP
protocol, and now wish to sell it.  HP has already been paid once for the right
to use this machine and the associated OS.  Why should they get to hit the
next guy (and the next), and if that is the case, where is my return on that
investment?  Surely not coming from HP...

Now if HP is giving rebates for turning in old OS's, boy do I have a stack of old
3000 machines I'll drive a forklift over to get that money!

One note: Software licensed to one machine can be transferred to another
owner via the usual E36S form, independant of the OS.  Many companies,
such as Canvas Systems, make a good living properly moving software from
one machine to another, and often purchase a machine for the software
installed, as opposed to the hardware involved.  (Hi Dee)

So folks, back on track - my 988 with 7.0 running on it - lost the SLT forms
long ago - never had it on contract - totally bought and paid for the proper
(HP) way.  Now I can run it until the cows come home - no interferance from
HP.  I can put it online and even let you run production on it.  Can I sell it to
you to use without HP involved, or do I just lend it to you, charge you a
monthly fee and keep it under my name?    ????

If I was in kindergarten, I would be stomping my foot and saying "This just
isn't fair" and probably most of my class would agree - probably my teacher
too. (reference: Everything I Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten)

If the rules are being changed midstream (constantly) where are the
grandfather clauses?  The agreement I got when I bought this box still applies,
regardless of what HP does post purchase.  Again, use the GM car analogy -
new EPA standards - do I need to put a new engine in my '64 'cuda to run it
on the road?  ADOT may get involved, but GM has no right - I bought the RTU
upon original purchase and it travels with the vehicle from then on in.

More conversation ensues.... but let's keep this to 3000 and OS, not software