HP3000-L Archives

July 2008, Week 5

From:
"James B. Byrne" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
James B. Byrne
Date:
Thu, 31 Jul 2008 15:13:24 -0400
On Thu, July 31, 2008 09:34, Chris Bartram wrote:

> FWIW I go with APC units in all my data centers. They've been highly
> reliable, their management capabilities are superb, they have
> serial-connect, USB-connect, and network-connected shutdown agents
> available
> for a wide variety of Oses (not MPE though), and their support has been
> superb. I've used nearly every model they support, from small 200-1400watt
> units at home to a pool of redundant/parallel 120kw Silcon UPSes in one of
> the data centers I manage.

OK.  I will look into APC. I use their gear on all of our workstations and
for our pbx. The HP PowerTrust units came with the equipment cabinets when
we moved to the HP3000-918LX and we have used them ever since.  I do
recall that we seem to have had much more trouble with the PT UPS units
than we have had with the 918.

> Keep in mind that nothing but the old/obsolete Powertrust units will
> "speak" via a serial interface so that a 3000 can do the auto-shutdown
> stuff built into MPE/iX,

I never managed to get this to work.  I kept getting some obscure error in
the HP3000 configuration and despite begin given assistance here on the
list I never did get it working.  So, no loss there in any case.

> You may have also discovered the hard way (as we did) that PowerTrust
> units REALLY don't like to receive power from other (upstream) UPSes.

Both units are in separate cabinets and both plug directly into the mains.
As a matter of practice arising from some bad experiences in the mid 1990s
I do not daisy chain UPS units.   For some vendors, a sine wave turned out
to be more of a metaphor than a reality.

Thanks for the help.

James B. Byrne                mailto:[log in to unmask]
Canada  L8E 3C3