HP3000-L Archives

July 2008, Week 4

From:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jul 2008 09:50:59 -0400
John Pitman wrote:
> In one office only, a couple of users, each with multiple reflection sessions open, have the currently working Reflection session drop off, and Outlook comes up with a logon prompt, indicating it lost connection to its server. The other reflection sessions don't drop. At most 3 users out of 10 have reported the problem.

This is most likely just an intermittent link problem (I know that
doesn't help to identify what/where).  For a TCP session, you can "break
the link" anywhere along the way for a certain period of time before the
session is dropped -- as long as you aren't actively transmitting data
at the time.  That would be your "3 out of 10" users, probably the more
active ones.

You might try a simple connectivity monitor (a periodic 'ping' would do)
from end to end to see if it sheds some light on the problem.  Some
low-level errors may come to light here, either in dropped packets, or
for bonus points, an ICMP error.  If you get the latter, it will be
returned by the router that is detecting the problem, and at least get
you in the ballpark.  If you're unlucky, the problem may be buried
somewhere down in the MPLS link, and you may be at the mercy of your
provider to troubleshoot the exact cause with your "logical" circuit
through their cloud.

As for the 'could not initialize data in path with TCP' messages, these
are low-level connection setup messages which I would guess are the
result of received ICMP errors or RSTs during connection establishment.
I'll defer to one of the MPE gurus for the specific network conditions
that lead to this MPE specific interpretation.

Jeff