HP3000-L Archives

July 2008, Week 2

From:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jul 2008 16:33:06 -0400
Larry Simonsen wrote:
> i seem to remember a few years back that there was an issue with full vs.
> half duplex on some servers and network equipment.
>
> i have my link configured as 100 mb half duplex but the switch is
> configured as full duplex.  we are having some random sessions drop.

For almost anything produced in the last decade or more, full-duplex is
the status quo.  As long as you have a true switch (not a hub), and it's
a point-to-point media, you want it to be full-duplex.

Port speed, duplex, throttling, and other parameters are usually
negotiated automatically as well, and the "common sense" default these
days is to let it auto-negotiate and troubleshoot the exceptions.

With that said, the venerable old 3000 has a less than stellar track
record with auto-negotiation, and you should set BOTH sides of the
connection to a specific speed and duplex.

With any auto-negotiated connection, if both sides don't agree (or
participate), the connection will fall back to the least common
denominator, typically 10/half, but that is somewhat vendor specific.
The point being, if you hard code ONE side, you must hard code the OTHER
side as well.

For the 3000, you can hard-code speed/duplex in NMMGR at the
LINK.linkname path.

NS Configuration -> Unguided -> NS -> Link -> Modify:

> Physical path of device adapter [0/0/0/0                         ]
>
> Use factory-configured local station address? [Y] (Y/N)
> Local station address  [FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF] (Hex)
>
> When auto-negotiation is enabled, the system can only
> properly configure the link if the hub also auto-negotiates.
> Use auto-negotiation to determine link settings? [N]  (Y/N)
> If 'N':  Link speed   [100 ]   (100 or 10 MBits/sec)
>          Full Duplex mode [Y]  (Y/N; N=Half)

If your duplex is mismatched, the "half-duplex" side will see lots of
collisions, while the "full-duplex" side will see received CRC errors
(among other things).

Jeff