HP3000-L Archives

July 2008, Week 2

From:
Jim Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 14 Jul 2008 04:04:34 -0700

After Shawn Gordon on Sunday, July 13, 2008 4:13 PM wrote:

>> that's like blaming the steak for not cooking itself to the right
>> temperature.

I think you are both missing the point here, which is the inconsistency of the tools HP provided via MPE for handling lockwords.  If the facility exists (as it plainly does) to allow lower-case lockwords, then the system should handle lower-case lockwords in *all* commands, intrinsics, etc.  If the intent of the HP MPE programmers was to not allow lower-case lockwords (which appears to be the case) then *all* commands, intrinsics, etc. should have consistently either rejected invalid lockwords or upshifted them or whatever was needed to make it equisitely obvious to the user what was happening.

I see this as another reason for us to "recreate" MPE, perhaps as a service under Linux (hint, hint)....

Jim Phillips