HP3000-L Archives

June 2008, Week 5

From:
"Peter M. Eggers" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peter M. Eggers
Date:
Sun, 29 Jun 2008 13:14:01 -0700
On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 12:44 PM, Shawn Gordon <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> what Linux could REALLY benefit from is MPE's batch and spool environment,
> there's virtually nothing other than cron and regular disk files, it's a
> real pain in the butt and I'm really surprised no one has done something
> yet, well, maybe someone did and I didn't notice it yet.

CUPS has a good spool environment, but the free clients to access it
suck with the possible exception of "kprint".  I think there is a good
possibility that everything is there and a simple MPE interface to it.

Batch jobs are a foreign concept to Unix/Linux.  I'm not sure without
doing some research whether all the pieces are there.  Probably
something that would need to be implemented mainly in MPE space and
interfacing only to Linux processes.

Pete