HP3000-L Archives

June 2008, Week 3

From:
"Peter M. Eggers" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Peter M. Eggers
Date:
Fri, 20 Jun 2008 20:12:48 -0700
On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 12:23 PM, Matthew Perdue
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Christian:
>
> I agree with Ms. Bardot - I have a problem with slaughtering animals for
> religious celebrations. I don't know when people of the Jewish faith stopped
> slaughtering animals as a sacrifice for various "celebrations" or other
> aspects of their faith, but at some point in history they stopped.
> Christians, as far as I know have never sacrificed animals as part of
> religious "celebrations" - as Craig pointed out, Christians believe Christ
> is the sacrifice for our sins, the one complete and perfect sacrifice and
> not animals. As to other religions I don't know - Buddhists, Confusionists,
> Hindu, etc.

For many red-blooded Americans, the 4th of July is a religious
celebration, and barbecuing some hapless animal's flesh is at least as
a religious experience as church on Sunday, which is usually avoided
in the pursuit of hooking some scaly water creature or shooting some
little furry animal.  I think what bothers a lot of people is that the
Muslims are using knives rather than guns to harvest their meat.  I
know my friend JW tweaks many people when they find out he prefers to
hunt wild boar with a knife and a small pack of dogs.

> In the U.S. what Ms. Bardot said (from your citation) would be free speech,
> not incitement to racial hatred. I'd be saying the same thing - how can any
> religion that claims to be one of peace in this day and age slaughter
> animals for sacrifice?
>
> Animals for food - that's a different matter.

I may be wrong, but I believe that all animals being sacrificed for
religious purposes are also eaten (kinda like that pig at a
pig-pickin').

> I for one am glad humans are for the most part at the top of the food chain.
> There are other animals that will eat people, all be it in what to us are
> unusual circumstances. Consider bears, sharks, tigers, lions - a search of
> news reports will turn up instances of these animals (or fish) eating
> people. So humans are not 100% at the top of the food chain, but we do
> occupy the top rung with a few other species.

A handful of humans protect the rest of the human population from
animals that would eat them.  The majority of the human population is
plague that creates a blight on the land making it uninhabital for
most other animals (except for those that do well on human refuse like
cockroaches, flies, rats, etc.

> Happy eating! :)

Soylent Green? :)  I think better to compost or just plow under.