HP3000-L Archives

June 2008, Week 3

From:
Denys Beauchemin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Denys Beauchemin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Jun 2008 19:27:21 -0500
Ron, you speak of things you do not understand or even remember very well.
Carly was brought on to put a new face to the board's plan and agenda.  I am
convinced she knew nothing of the HP3000 expect what was told the her by her
minions.  And if the person in charge of the program was all in favor of
cancelling it, for the good of the customers, of course she would acquiesce
to its demise.  Her marching orders were to execute the Compaq merger and to
transform HP into a different company.  Bill and Dave's vision, the HP way
died even before she arrived on the scene.  She just officiated at the wake.

But your comment about not being able to move to another platform got me
thinking.

I have been using an HP3000 for a little over 30 years; I worked in a
variety of positions and companies, with one thing in common, there was an
HP3000 component.  My story is not unique, I know many people who made the
HP3000 the main focus of their careers.  The problem with that it that it
fairly limits one's options if anything were to happen to the HP3000 either
at their company or in the industry.

I did not like that, so I took steps to expand my options.

It is also my opinion that anyone working at a corporation and planning to
homestead on instead of migrating from, the HP3000, is working for his or
her own selfish purposes, not for the benefit of his or her employer.

If you happen to be working at a corporation that is contemplating a
migration, you have a golden opportunity to expand your horizons;  the
company needs you because of your knowledge of the company and its
operations, the HP3000 is incidental.  It's just a tool.

In life stuff, happens and stupid decisions are taken that affect a lot of
people.  Get over it.

Denys