HP3000-L Archives

June 2008, Week 1

From:
Ron Seybold <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ron Seybold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jun 2008 16:02:29 -0700
After Brent Moore reported he was about to look into co
Hello Friends,

After Brent Moore reported he was about to look into converting from an HP 3000 to an HP 9000, John Dunlop asked:

"Excuse me if I dreamt it, but didn't HP just announce the End of the Line  for the HP9000?"

John's been keeping up. HP made its end-of-life announcement for its PA-RISC Unix servers earlier this year. HP won't sell you one beyond Dec. 31, 2008. You should recognize that date, since it's also the one where HP "loses its [MPE/iX] labs." 31 weeks and counting down.

But Brent may have been referring to the current generation HP-UX servers from HP, the Integrity systems. HP promises to sell those through 2016, "and beyond!" as Buzz Lightyear would say.

If on the other hand, it's a real e3000 conversion to HP9000 that Brent wants, HP will do that to his PA-RISC hardware. But the vendor will shake its head a little at the request, since it will create an HP Unix system about six years out of date.

Have a look at our 3000 NewsWire article from last month about the end of life for the HP 9000:

<http://3000newswire.blogs.com/3000_newswire/2008/05/hp-moves-away-f.html>

Have fun in the transition — and don't hold your breath for an emulator real soon.

Best wishes,

Ron Seybold
Editor, The 3000 NewsWire
3000newswire.com/blog