HP3000-L Archives

June 2008, Week 1

From:
Jerry Fochtman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jerry Fochtman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jun 2008 07:53:58 -0500
It's the platinium that's used in the catalyst beads in most of the
converters that I believe they're wanting
to recycle...

The catalyst itself is most often a precious metal. Platinum
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platinum> is the most active catalyst and
is widely used. However, it is not suitable for all applications because
of unwanted additional reactions and/or cost. Palladium
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palladium> and rhodium
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhodium> are two other precious metals
that are used. Platinum and rhodium are used as a reduction catalyst,
while platinum and palladium are used as an oxidization catalyst. Cerium
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerium>, iron
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron>, manganese
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manganese> and nickel
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel> are also used, though each has its
own limitations. Nickel is not legal for use in the European Union (due
to reaction with carbon monoxide
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel_tetracarbonyl>). While copper
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper> can be used, its use is illegal in
North America due to the formation of dioxin
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dioxin>.

See:  http://auto.howstuffworks.com/catalytic-converter3.htm