HP3000-L Archives

May 2008, Week 4

From:
Brian Donaldson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brian Donaldson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 May 2008 02:08:32 -0400
It has been my experience whenever I have encountered these "9x", "9]"
type of errors in Cobol is because the program is trying to manipulate a
file (open?) that is already open or cannot be opened for some reason
(security violation maybe, or another process has the file opened exclusively)

The Cobol manual isn't very good at giving away these error codes
and their meaning. Page 6-42 "Environment Division" section gives some
flimsy info on these "9x" errors ("Some 9x values have been changed to other
codes. For example, the ANSI COBOL '85 file status 38 was previously
a 9x code".)

Pages 6-43, 6-44 and 6-45 of the Cobol manual give you all the Cobol file
system error numbers and a description of what the error is but is missing
the 9x error codes and their meaning.

Brian Donaldson.