HP3000-L Archives

May 2008, Week 4

From:
"Johnson, Tracy" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Johnson, Tracy
Date:
Fri, 23 May 2008 17:50:18 -0400
The original question raised some other possibilities on another list:

Anonymous1 wrote:

> I went down to the local hardwire store and bought the thinnest wire I
could
> find.

I've had good results with "invisible" wire antennas.  The kind of fine
wire used to wind coils, guitar pickups, etc. is so invisible in the air
that even the birds can't see it.  Transmitting is obviously limited to
QRP, and the weather eats through it pretty fast.  Then you put up more.

Anonymous2 wrote:

>There's his antenna.  Use the pipe.  Insulate it from the vertical
>mount.

Somewhere around the net there are directions for a "broomstick antenna"
that isn't too far away from this idea.  It has a coil of wire wound on
it.

Anonymous3 wrote:

>We lived in a house with an abandoned railroad line behind the house.
>I was so tempted to hook up to one of the rails, but never did.

I wonder what abandoned tracks would work like.  Active ones use the
rails for signalling circuits or ground return of electric traction, and
the effects on a DC grounded radio might be rather dramatic.

Tracy Johnson
Measurement Specialties Inc.
BT

NNNN