HP3000-L Archives

May 2008, Week 4

From:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 May 2008 13:50:05 -0400
Jim writes:

> I just heard about this type of music via the link below.  Very interesting,
> especially for sci-fi fans, tech-heads, or the extremely nerdish...
>
>  http://www.prometheus-music.com/space.html

While I adamantly refuse to be associated with any of those adjectives, I just
wanted to write and say, "Thanks, Jim. I enjoyed this very much. In fact, I've
ordered the album."

On that same subject, we're going back to Mars early this Sunday morning.
Phoenix is scheduled to land in the Martian northern subpolar regions. This
mission is specifically designed to find the water that we're almost sure exists
in the subsurface ice of this region -- and potentially organic molecules as
well. If we do find these molecules, these could be the first positive markers
for a second, truly independent genesis of life in the universe.

I've included a NASA announcement from about a week ago below outlining
television times.

Wirt Atmar

May 15, 2008

Dwayne Brown
Headquarters, Washington
202-358-1726

Guy Webster/Jane Platt
Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, Calif.
818-354-5011
[log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]

Sara Hammond
University of Arizona, Tucson
520-626-1974

MEDIA ADVISORY: M08-099

NASA BRIEFINGS AND TV COVERAGE SCHEDULE FOR PHOENIX MARS LANDING

WASHINGTON -- NASA news briefings, live commentary and updates before
and after the scheduled Sunday, May 25 arrival of the agency's
Phoenix Mars Lander will be available on NASA Television and on the
Web.

Entry, descent and landing begins at 4:46 p.m. PDT on May 25, when the
flight team will listen for radio signals indicating that Phoenix has
entered the top of the Martian atmosphere. The spacecraft must
perform a series of challenging transformations and activities during
the seven minutes after it enters the atmosphere to slow it from
12,000 mph to 5 mph and a soft touchdown. The Phoenix team will be
watching for radio signals confirming the landing at 4:53 p.m. More
than half of previous international attempts to land on Mars have
been unsuccessful. For a detailed schedule and landing timeline,
visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/phoenix

Requests for media credentials to cover the Phoenix mission from
NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif., must be made
online at:

https://eis.jpl.nasa.gov/media/index.html

Media wishing to cover the mission from the University of Arizona in
Tucson, must apply online at:

http://uanews.org/marsmedia

The deadline for U.S. journalist to request media credentials is
Tuesday, May 20. Foreign journalists requesting credentials must
apply by Friday, May 16.

Briefings on mission goals, challenges, status and final trajectory
adjustments will originate from JPL on Thursday, May 2, at 11:30 a.m.
and on Saturday and Sunday, May 25-26, at noon.

On landing day, May 25, live landing commentary will air on NASA TV. A
telecast without videos and interviews will run on NASA TV's Media
Channel beginning at 3 p.m. Another telecast with commentary,
interviews and videos will begin at 3:30 p.m. on NASA TV's Public
Channel. For more information on NASA TV and this coverage schedule,
visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Breaking.html

Both telecasts will continue through landing time and resume at 6:30
p.m. during the period after landing when engineers anticipate the
receipt of data and possible images confirming that Phoenix has
opened its solar panels successfully.

A news briefing at JPL will be held Sunday, May 25 at 9 p.m.,
following landing and the first possible downlink of images. Briefing
updates at JPL also are scheduled on Monday, May 26 at 11 a.m. and on
Tuesday, May 27, at 11 a.m.

Daily news briefings will continue at 11 a.m. for several days
following a successful landing. Mission control and the site for news
briefings will then shift to the University of Arizona in Tucson
after a determination that the spacecraft is in a safe condition for
conducting science operations. The earliest possibility for moving
the host site for mission news briefings to the University of
Arizona's Space Operations Center is Wednesday, May 28. Mission
briefings from Pasadena and Tucson will be carried on NASA TV unless
preempted by other NASA events.

For NASA TV streaming video, schedules, and downlink information,
visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/ntv

-end-