HP3000-L Archives

May 2008, Week 4

From:
Roy Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Roy Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 May 2008 20:20:53 +0100
In message <001001c8bbbb$f0730f50$a0f23e45@DJFJQK21>, Walter J. Murray
<[log in to unmask]> writes
>Greetings,
>
>This question came up during a discussion with our Database
>Administration group, and I thought I'd poll the -L to see if there were
>any consensus.
>
>When adding an item to a data set using one of the fine TurboIMAGE
>maintenance programs, you have a choice of where to add it.
>
>Do you:
>
>1.  Generally always add it at the end, on the theory that it is least
>likely to cause a problem there?  Or,

Pretty much every time. Our datasets are configured with extra tail-end
FILLER space in the copylibs, so you can generally do this without
needing to recompile the whole system.

>2.  Insert it wherever would seem most logical,

Yes, for a key item, where recompiling the whole system is generally
advisable OR if the new item needs to go in a particular place in the
implied sort order of a sorted chain.

>maybe even keeping your items in alphabetical order within the data
>set?

I've never thought of that as logical.

However, I *do* like to re-order datasets as alphabetical within A/M/D
from time to time. Which Adager lets me do nicely, and which the
programs don't care about [1]

>I'm just curious about common practice.

Make the least change possible, consistent with maintainability going
forward

Roy

[1] I know it is possible to write programs which care about this.
However, I have never seen any need to, so not on my watch you don't.

--
Roy Brown        'Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be
Kelmscott Ltd     useful, or believe to be beautiful'  William Morris