HP3000-L Archives

April 2008, Week 3

Date:
Wed, 16 Apr 2008 14:48:47 -0400
Dave,

This may not be exactly what they're asking for, but thanks to the
efforts of Ken Hirsch, there IS a sftp client for MPEi/X.  'SFTP' is a secure &
encrypted 'ftp-equivalent' that's a part of the OpenSSH open source package.

Key-Exchange authentication, encryption, and data-compression are all
features of this sftp client.

I've used it extensively for one of my customers - including integrating it into
their home-grown application (and a 3rd party vendor's application!).

I'd be happy to help if you need it, but thanks to Beechglen Development's
article on how to install SFTP on an MPE system:

http://www.beechglen.com/mpe/technotes/SFTPInstallNotes.html

...it's not as hard as it used to be.

I've found success using both the sftp client and the scpy client (equivalents
to 'ftp' and the Un*x 'cpy' command respectively).  I don't have my
notes at hand as to which encryption methods are available, but I do know
that whichever is to be used is configurable - and negotiated by the process
with the sftpd server 'on the other end'.  These clients are based on the
OpenSSH package, which is very popular - and available for just about any
other platform as well.  It's a shame that the ssh 'command-line' client for
MPEi/X doesn't work as well as sftp does.  :-(

Again, feel free to email me privately if I can help at all.

Brian Edminster
Sr. Consultant w/Applied Technologies
"OpenSource Software by Applied Technologies
  - Solutions for Today, Solutions for Tomorrow"