HP3000-L Archives

April 2008, Week 2

From:
donna hofmeister <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
donna hofmeister <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Apr 2008 10:17:11 -0700
I strongly recommend you look into (in fact, should have already looked
into) buying <something> to manage job scheduling and sysout/stdlist
evaluation.  you're moving into a *very different* world and will/do not
have the tools (eg, cron) to accomplish what you're expecting without
applying $$$.

fwiw (and maybe you've already figured this out) -- writing a 'job' on *nix
is quite different that on mpe.  not so much from the 'do step 1...do step
2' perspective.  rather, rigorous error checking will make all the
difference.  dear mpe did an extraordinary job of giving us fserrors and
cierrors.  little that rich exists elsewhere.  errors happen...but tend to
get reported silently.  scripts need to *ask* to know if all went well or
not.  *disciplined* code/script writing is a must!            - d

---
Donna Hofmeister
Allegro Consultants, Inc.